Colombia, Road Trip
Roasts and ships Monday through Thursday.
- We Taste: Passion Fruit, Papaya, Mango
- Process: Experimental Fermentation
- Varietal: Castillo
- Region: Popayan, Cauca
- Altitude: 1,960 masl
This coffee is part of our Reserve line—a line that brings you the rarest most unique coffee experiences from around the world. Available only in our 8oz reserve bags, this is a very limited release.
- Collecting the cherry bean in a percentage of 92% ripe and 8% semi-ripe.
- Floating and washing with ozone water to decrease microbial load.
- 24 hours of oxidation in cherry state to extract chlorogenic acids.
- Controlled drying for 34 hours with recirculation of air in a regular temperature of 35 Celsius degrees and relative humidity of 25% until reaching, in a scale of 10% to 11%.
This coffee is the result of Diego Samuel’s effort to make coffee in his region, along with his family, a product in which other coffee growers could trust for their living. Diego’s idea was to create a “common wet-mill” to process the cherry bean of his neighbors in Piendamimo, Cauca in the southwestern of Colombia. There are around 150 coffee producers who take benefits from this project and it’s all focused on letting the coffee to grow in its own land and microclimates and using the equipment, protocols and research from Diego’s farm to achieve a consistent and high quality coffee. The other foundation in this project is making a higher impact in the money retribution from the coffee producer. The coffee is sold as cherry, but it is bought as green which makes it profitable to the producer to keep growing.
I was pleasantly surprised by the flavors--the notes are quite accurate. Definitely worth a taste.
This is a stunning Colombian that I love to brew & share with my friends.