Looking for an incredibly thoughtful and practical gift for a coffee lover? Seeking more variety in your own cup? Either way, you can’t go wrong with a coffee subscription box. Coffee subscription boxes are a great way to support a love of coffee while broadening your knowledge and palate. There are a lot of options for coffee subscription boxes, so we want to share some of our favorite choices in this new guide.
What To Look For with a Coffee Subscription Service
Not all coffee delivery subscriptions are equal, so it’s worth doing a bit of investigation to be sure you choose one that will provide a great experience. Here are some things to look for.
- Shipping schedule — Do you want coffee delivered weekly, monthly, or at some other interval? The subscription shipping schedule should work for YOU. After all, delivery to your door is one of the benefits of getting a subscription in the first place.
- Bean origin information — Any quality coffee subscription box should include a description of the coffee beans and where they originated.
- Bean options — You should be able to get whole beans, pre-ground, and even decaf options if you want. Make sure the subscription you choose offers coffee according to your preferences.
- Roast dates — To ensure your coffee is as fresh as possible, you should check the roast date. The beans should be roasted on-demand not long before your shipment to ensure freshness.
- Roast levels — Do you prefer light, medium, or dark roast? You can often find subscriptions made up of your favorite roast. Not sure? Check out our guide on the differences between light, medium, and dark roasts.
- Variety — Are you looking for single-source beans, certain countries of origin, or something else? Check that the subscription offers the selection you’re seeking to be sure you’re always satisfied.
- Cost< — You’ll find a range in cost among the various coffee subscription boxes out there. Select one that offers the type of beans you want at a price you can afford.
Benefits of Coffee Subscriptions
Coffee subscriptions are a great idea for so many reasons. Regardless of where you get your coffee subscription, here are the benefits you can expect to enjoy:
- Convenience — What could be easier than having your coffee delivered right to your door? Not only do you get to enjoy your favorite coffee regularly, but you also get to have fun going to your mailbox and knowing you won’t find only bills!
- Experimentation — With a subscription, you can have a new coffee variety every month — or even every week — without fail. Try some new varieties alongside your tried-and-true favorites to create some excitement in your daily routine.
- Value — No more running across town to get your favorite coffee brand or scouting for sales. With a coffee subscription, you pay a fixed cost and often enjoy a discount for your regular delivery.
- Freshness — Could anything be worse than looking forward to your coffee and finding it’s stale? With a coffee subscription, you can be sure you’re getting the freshest cup time after time.
- Education — Learn about different coffees by getting a small amount to try with your subscription service. Many boxes provide information about each brew and where it’s sourced, so you learn who you’re supporting with the purchase. It’s a great way to try different types of coffee without a commitment.
- Single-origin — Smaller roasters selling direct instead of through grocery stores often produce amazing coffee. You’re more likely to get single-origin coffee from these roasters. Learn more: Single Origins vs. Blends: What’s the Difference?
- Support small businesses — When you purchase a coffee subscription, you can support the dreams of small business owners who devote their lives to their passion for coffee.
- Never be without your cup of joe — When you have your coffee delivered regularly, you can be sure you’re always going to have some on hand. No more waking up and realizing you forgot to buy coffee, and no more super-early grocery store runs.
8 Best Coffee Subscription Boxes 2022
There are dozens of options for coffee subscription boxes available. Before you choose one, be sure to think through the requirements noted above and make your selection accordingly.
We love coffee subscription services so much that we actually offer four of our own! One is for the coffee lover who wants to try everything, known as our Roaster’s Choice subscription. The other options include the Avant-Garde subscription for coffee lovers who enjoy experimenting and pushing boundaries, and the Contemporary subscription, which features medium-bodied roasts that are a little more complex than the traditional blends found in our Classics subscription. All are available at the size and frequency you choose and take your coffee experience to the next level.
Not only is Olympia Coffee one of our favorite coffee shops in the US, but they also have an amazing coffee subscription. Even if you’re not in the Seattle area, you can enjoy this coffee from anywhere. They are an inspiration to us as a certified B-Corp, and you can be proud to support them while enjoying a hella good cup of coffee.
If you’re looking for a global coffee adventure, give Atlas Coffee a try. As a “coffee tour guide,” they provide freshly-roasted single-origin coffee from exotic places around the world, including coffee regions you can’t get from many other sources. Their coffee is delivered with a fun postcard from the source location and an information card. Start your journey here.
4. Trade Coffee
Those seeking a tailored subscription based on personal preferences, or people who aren’t really sure what they like, will love Trade Coffee. Start with a quiz to identify your coffee preferences and then rate each batch so they can match you with future coffees you’re sure to love.
Like products with a mission? Then look no further than Grounds and Hounds with their craft coffee that gives back. Every purchase of their fair trade, organic, specialty coffees support animal rescue initiatives with the aim of reaching a no-kill society for dogs.
Another of our favorite coffee roasters located in Tampa is King State. We were so excited when we learned they offer a coffee subscription! Get a bag a week, every other week, or every four weeks, and never forget how good this java is!
Another coffee company that made our favorites list in Indianapolis is the Tinker Coffee Co., and we’re thrilled they also have a subscription. If you aren’t in the area, you can get their coffee delivered to your doorstep. Try their single-origin, blends, or a sprinkling of everything. You’ll love their thoughtfully sourced beans that are roasted with care.
For some, variety is a necessity. If that’s you, look no further than Mistobox. They offer over 600 coffees from sixty roasters around the country. Enjoy the coffee journey selected from your personal coffee curator based on your preferences in this coffee subscription.
Explore the World of Coffee from Home
Coffee is always an adventure just waiting to be savored, whether by bringing back a fond memory, expanding your geographic horizons, or stretching your knowledge. And the best part is you’re not just limited to the coffee shops you can drive to. There are lots of great options that will ship right to your door so you can enjoy them year-round in the comfort of your own home.
You might also like: